Monday, November 17, 2008

Burn The Blubber

The male torso has been adored since time immemorial. Michaelangelo’s David and the Barberini Sleeping Satyr were perfect examples of Hellenistic art that best exemplified the beauty and symmetry of the perfect male body.

Years ago, the male body worship came out on the first Calvin Klein underwear poster. And man was never the same again. I am talking about the male six pack abs. It’s sexiness has become an obsession, that everyone is looking for the perfect recipe for building a tight and trim midsection. Fitness gyms sprung up everywhere promising overnight physical makeovers that most of them failed to give.

But just as the guys have started burning their beer bellies, another new challenge emerges – “devil horns”. It’s the muscle cuts in the lower abdomen just above the hips that can be seen when wearing low-waist jeans. It’s the next big male body feature.

For guys who are a bit heavy in the middle, catching up with the new lifestyle is frustrating. Waist size forty- one is the new thirty-three. Stout is out! Also, the metrosexual look is fast emerging and those with money to spend are paying more particular attention to their looks, rather than giving their hard earned money to their wives to spend.

Are these signs send a clear message that in order to be looked at and admired, is it a must for a guy to possess not only a well chiseled good-looking face but an athletic muscular body as well? Are these qualities a yardstick to success?

I have been regularly working out in the gym and quite honestly I would say, I have developed lean muscles and definitions in the right places. The new look has considerably build up my confidence, though I may not look like the cold marble statues of David and the Sleeping Satyr.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm!!!

Anonymous said...

yeah..yeah, machismo, male chauvinism, hate you guys, what can I say...(just kidding, lol).

Angry American said...

Hmm... Well, I used to be a pencil neck geek and so was my brother. Mostly because my brother and I never ate much. But, then again, our mom never made much food at dinner time either.

I work out here and there. I'm no pencil neck geek anymore, but I've never liked the way I looked. Neither my face nor my body.

I do have a little flab on my belly but, I can suck in my gut and make it look a little flatter lol. My abs are still tight enough that my guts don't hand down over my belt. But, I'm 40 now and I'm starting to lose those naturally tone abs young whipper snappers have.

I have an illiostomy so, what's left of my intestines are bunched up on one side and bulge a little. This makes me look like I'm fatter around the waste than I am. I also have MASSIVE stretch marks from my shoulders down to my calves.

So, at this point in my life, I really couldn't give two s**ts what my body looks like anymore. I don't let too many people see it. And, if and when I go swimming, most of me is under the water so they can't see much anyway.

Basically, I gave up on my looks a long time ago. If we really are judged by, and become a success or failure because of our looks, then I've been right all this time. I'm one monkey butt ugly bastard.

Anonymous said...

I'll say hhhmm again! How do we percieve a real man..is it by his looks or by his virtue, i'd have the latter. i'd fall in love easily with an ugly man playing melodious bethoveen on the piano rather than the chiselled Adonis displaying his perfect torso and abs. I hope guys would go to gyms for health reason and not of impression motivated.

I was at the mall the other day with the group
of kababayans,who were making fun of this small unattractive man with a beautiul early 30's looking wife. they said he made her drink the love potion. I found this small guy very pleasant with his real smile sitting in front of me. He has the genuine pride of showing me the album of his kitchenry designing masterpiece, how his family live comfortably by his skills and sending their kids to university. The wife just stays home and never been stressed out at work ,unconditionally adored by this so-called ugly husband. I found out before I left that the youthful happy wife is actually more than 50 years old, same age as the husband. On the way out I told him, your wife is very lucky to find you. I turned back and glanced at those Adonises bullies and can't help feeling sorry to their miserable old looking unattractive wives...now you know where i'm heading to with this issue.

Don't worry Healer, decent and nice women don't go for looks, they know much better..only fools do. And sorry to say this, no offense, men who thinks they are on top with thier perfect looks, empty brains, lazy hands and empty pockets..sorry,but you are way below the ground.

Anonymous said...

Real man is measured through his deeds and not by his looks and I'm sure all the Helens will agree. To all the wonderful men out there who felt inferior by their appearance, gone are the days when women are crazy for it. We wanted peace of mind instead of wondering every seconds the whereabouts of our macho partners. Love, respect and faithfulness are the very basics foundation in a relationship and smart women are aiming for that.

and to all the sleeping Satyrs, please do keep on sleeping and dream on...

Anonymous said...

Ambition, hardwork, determination, self control and patience are the yardsticks to success..forget that body built, torso , abs and whatever..oh yes..its useful in wrestling profession...whewwww..i forgot!

Bryan Karl said...

True, not only looks any more but also body figure.

Great writing. You make well-written articles! :)