Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Of Cigarettes, Ghosts, Whisperings and the Jinn

The old rusty chair stands solitary on the wide grassy lawn in front of our farmhouse. The melancholic wail of the night bird echoing in the distance like a haunting lullaby shatters the silence of this secluded tranquil setting. A cool gentle breeze caresses my weary face. I light a stick of L&M Blue, deeply inhaling the surging smoke inside me and puffing a lungful of contentment. The full moon is finally rising. The empty chair offers a perfect welcome to rest my tired and hurting limbs.

I flick the ash off the tip of my cigarette. I take a deep puff and gently blow out a smoke. The past days have been very exhausting. There is no way to avoid pain when you lose someone you dearly love. All of a sudden, life takes a different turn. It changes your world. It is already the third night since my mother was laid to rest. My aunt used to tell me stories of departed souls coming back at this time to bid farewell to loved ones. A whiff of a perfume, a flitting shadow or a sigh, usually imply their presence. I wait desperately for the signs as I gaze at the moon coming out behind the old trees casting eerie silhouettes of knurled limbs and outstretched arms. I take another puff haphazardly and flick the stub away. I lean on the chair and close my eyes. It seems like eternity…

As the swirling noxious smoke drifts away into thin air, I hear a faint whisper. So faint, like a light breath passing through my ear. I look around. The stillness of the night overpowers me. My heart starts to quiver. A few feet away from me stood a motionless gauzy outline of a tall slender figure in long black clothing. I squint my eyes to grasp a clear view of the mysterious entity. It looks human but pale and bald with ram like horns curled back inwards. A feeling of wonder strikes me. Who is it? Is it the enchanted spirit of the woods our farmhands tell us about? What does it want from me? Then slowly, it turns toward me and starts talking in garbled speech, not a single word I understand. It reaches into my ears like a faint whisper. And then again. I open my mouth to talk. But no words come out of my lips. I struggle to reach out. I want to shout. Just when I am about to sit up and stretch out my hand, it vanished.

The moon is now in its full glory. Bright but pale. I stand up and walk straight to the spot where the spirit entity appears. Nothing. Is it a dream? So I walk back towards the house. I pull another stick from the flip-top box and look for my lighter inside my pocket. It’s gone. I look back at the old chair and take a deep breath.

Probably the spirit wants me to quit smoking…

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

i can't imagine myself seeing an indistinctness kind of a thing with a ram like horns curled back inwards...that scary!!!

I believe the message is not just for you to quit smoking..its deeper than that...its more on the commitment you have promised to your Creator..."the purpose of us being here..."

nice blog bro...

Its me Bro. Fayez

Anonymous said...

i can't imagine myself seeing an indistinctness kind of a thing with a ram like horns curled back inwards...that scary!!!

I believe the message is not just for you to quit smoking..its deeper than that...its more on the commitment you have promised to your Creator..."the purpose of us being here..."

nice blog bro...

Its me Bro. Fayez

Anonymous said...

Boysie very impressive and subjective about the jinn and the ghost,i think its not about your smoking,its about the old memories and the empty chair which you miss...keep it up you got the talent.

Anonymous said...

It's not about smoking, it's within your heart and soul..being from beyond conveys to good people who believes in their unknown existence amongst us. Be glad that you are one of those privelege it chooses to show that there are different forms of life aside from what everybody sees within the naked human eyes. The spirit's tried to tell you that someone out there loves you and for you to release whatever regrets and pains that lies deep in your thoughts and heart, that life must go on ..I think it's your Mom's spirit .

Keep writing, this must be the beginning to a long journey towards your destiny.

Anonymous said...

Excellent writings..very professional!

Anonymous said...

Beautifully written!

Anonymous said...

enduring grief neither destroys but neither does it lessens..it remains..beneath the surface you're missing her a lot..and the image you have seen is apparently tells you to stop smoking.

Anonymous said...

is that creature you saw really want you to quit smoking? I don't think so. As per your desription of the creature(with a ram-like horns curled back inwards), it seems that, that thing comes from somewhere hot & doesn't like coolness.
As you said, you are smoking L&M Blue which is menthol. Maybe, he just want you to switch to Filter?

Anonymous said...

i don't know, i don't believe this thing, its sort of a myth, maybe it does exist in imagination to whoever believes it.nicely written!

Anonymous said...

I heard Sigben still roams in some mountainous parts of Sagay, looks like a goat but so fast that it runs like a greyhound. & can run backwards too.

Anonymous said...

had heard this sigben myths on my childhood farm days...do they really exist? kurimaw, your descriptions sounds like kangaroo to me.

Anonymous said...

i think they exist, but not as our folks believe that those animals are owned by aswangs. they are animals too, endangered species. I read before that one of the attractions in Bohol is their zoological garden which includes endangered species & one of them is Sigben. I like to see them in actual, but I have not been to Bohol.

Anonymous said...

hmmm..sigben at the zoo, very interesting, never heard of that yet.

Anonymous said...

boy, you were physically and emotionally tired after the burial, not to mention the feeling of emptiness after losing a loved one. then there was this longing and the desire to make a last ditch effort to communicate... all these could have triggered the mind to conjure images - real or otherwise.